Saturday, September 11, 2010

A Thank You To A Vietnam Vet.

I ran three miles in the hot sun today at about 2:00 pm. As I sprinted the last 100 yards or so, I noticed a man sitting in a beat up Toyota pickup truck. He was wearing one of those blue ball caps that the old veterans from WW2 wear, it had the words "Vietnam Vet" embroidered in gold along with the medals he earned. As I passed the truck I said, "Thanks for going over there", he knew what I was thanking him for and replied "Orale", which in the latin culture has many meanings, all positive. As I continued to walk, I looked at him and I could see he didn't expect my comment but appreciated it because I was sincere.

As you go about your day today, remember those loved ones who were taken away from us so abruptly on 9/11. We don't get to see those smiling faces or hear those laughs anymore but they forever live in our souls where no one will ever snatch those precious memories away.

Thanks to the soldiers who willingly do what needs to be done in order that our way of life should continue. That our children grow up safe though some of those same soldiers currently risking their lives halfway around  world might never actually see their own children grow up.

Fly Your Flag Today in remembrance and appreciation.


Staff Sergeant Brito is a recruiter with the California Army National Guard. He is a veteran of thirteen years of both the US Army and the National Guard. He can be reached via email at iguardcalifornia@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment